June 1, 2009

Hurts So Good

The hardest part about seeing someone new, is trying to figure them out. Their likes, dislikes, their quirks. I've been in contact with Michelle for a few months and only recently did we actually meet in person. Our first date went really well and the following day she got me to cancel some plans I had, in order to get together with her for a bite to eat the following night. But I wasn't able to get a reservation on such short notice to anywhere worth heading to. I thought this might cause her to reschedule our "plans" but we was open to meeting at a local bookstore, hanging out a bit and then walking around the area until we found a place that interested us.

We browsed for a while, and she picked up a few novels to read on the beach this summer. We then walked for about 45 minutes before settling on a new Greek place that had just opened - the red, white & blue banners were still hanging from the street lamp pole to their store front. The place was so new, it didn't have a liquor license yet.
In the 6+ hours that I'd spent with Michelle, I thought I had gotten to know her pretty well. She is very straight forward, a bit sarcastic at times, goofy most of the time, doesn't let things get to her too much, isn't afraid to voice her opinion, and my goodness can the girl eat. I don't know if she fasts during the day but the 2 dinners I shared with her, she easily put away good amounts of food, which I have to admit was a bit or a turn-on. This time she went for a gyro sandwich, greek salad and side of spanokopita [spinach pie]. It sounded so good, I ordered similarly, and we also split an order of fries. The food, the soda and the conversation flowed the entire time. The check came and she swooped it up before I could even take a look at it. This might have been fine further down the road, on say our 5th or 6th date, but I was adamant in paying the bill, even if she had asked me out that night.
The walk back to our cars was much welcomed - a slight breeze cooled the air and it was early enough that the sun was just out of sight, and cast a spectacular view on our city. Plus it helped us in our digestion as well!!
Our kiss this time was on more equal terms - we both had onion/oregano breath - and lingered significantly longer than our first. Her exit off the freeway came before mine so I said I'd follow her to make sure she made it ok.

'If you want, just follow me to my house. We can catch a movie or something.'
'Sure, sounds good.'

Or something, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment